Environmental Legislation and Policy
In this program, you will learn:
- The structure and evolution of environmental law at a national, European, and international level.
- Key types of environmental legislation and policy including economic instruments, direct regulation, polluter pays, producer responsibility, and others.
- The role of regulatory agencies and how they work to enforce environmental law.
- The potential impact of some key pieces of environmental legislation and policy, including energy, waste, and water law.
- How to identify relevant environmental legislation for your organization and where to find further information.
- How to contribute to effective risk management through ongoing compliance with environmental policy and legal requirements.
After completion of SBS Foundation Certificate in Environmental Management (Program 2 Green Environmental Legislation and Policy), you will be able to:
- Understand the structure and evolution of environmental law.
- Know the ways in which to access and identify relevant environmental legislation.
- See how environmental law relates to your organization’s operations.
- Demonstrate how an organization can comply with environmental legal requirements.
- Understand the role of economic instruments in environmental law.
- Understand the role of the regulatory agencies.
Experts & Strategic Consultants
Dr. Bassem Nassouhy
Member of the Committee,
World Green Growth Summit
Dr. Bassem Nassouhy
Dr. Bassem Nassouhy is the General Manager of Scientific Business Solutions Group of Environmental Consulting and Sustainability Consultancies in the GCC and the Arab Republic of Egypt based in the United Arab Emirates, he is also a Chief Advisor Alternative Fuel & Alternative Raw Material as well as his advisory roles including Environmental Consultant for FNRC (Fujairah Government – UAE), SREE Advisory board member at Sharjah University and others.
SBS offer high quality tailored waste and sustainability solutions and waste to resources services with sister companies all over the GCC. SBS has the ability to create out of the box solutions and new initiatives in various fields including sustainability, waste management, alternative fuel, alternative raw material, H&S, and environment with proven track records including tens of recognized projects particularly for multinational companies located in GCC and Egypt.
For 10 years before March 2016, Dr. Bassem used to lead various positions within LH, e.g Geocycle, a member of the international LafargeHolcim Group, including the senior manager of Business Development, Quality, HSE, and Operations. He worked as an expert within the company responsible for reuse waste generates of various industries as an alternative fuel and raw material for Lafarge Emirates Cement factory, he used to be the head of quality, environmental, occupational safety and health departments at the company’s various locations in the United Arab Emirates.
Prior to that, he served as manager of the Occupational Safety, Health, Environment and Fire Protection Department of Lafarge Emirates Cement (Lafarge-Holcim group) in the United Arab Emirates for 4 years.
Prior to joining the Lafarge Group, Dr. Bassem served as manager of Environment, Operation, Quality, Occupational Safety and Health departments at several major international companies including Orascom Construction, EDF électricité du France, Korea Smile Company, Egyptian Environmental Affairs Agency.
Dr. Bassem received various scientific degrees, including a PhD in the management of environmental, occupational safety and health systems, as well as an MBA and a diploma in in industrial pollution control and environmental management from Japan.
He has also received several credits as a consultant and international trainer accredited in several areas of management, environment, health, and safety from major institutes and universities in Japan, France, Egypt and the United States of America as well as international credits from the US Department of Labor and the University of Cincinnati, Ohio, USA.
Dr. Bassem has provided consulting services for many well-known private companies and government authorities, and has published several publications and presentations at international conferences.